Marketing Is Everything by Regis Mckenna - Reading Notes Essay
Marketing is everything
⇨ Technology is transforming choice, and choice is transforming the marketplace
- Make distinctions between technology and non technology business and industries: there are only technology companies
==> Technology has moved into products
- The defining characteristic of this new technological push is programmability.
⇨ Programmability is the new corporate capability to produce more and more varieties and choices for customers
= > The technological promise of programmability has exploited into the reality of almost unlimited choices.
- Evaluation of marketing = The market-driven company
⇨ These companies are customer driven; they expressed a new willingness to change …show more content…
• Internally: synthesizing technological capability with market needs
• Externally: bringing the customer into the company as a participant in the development and adaptation of good and services
⇨ The relationships are the key, the basis of customer choice and company adaptation
- Marketing today is not a function, it is a way of doing business. Marketing has to be all pervasive, part of everyone’s job description.
It is to integrate the customer into the design of the product and to design a systematic process for interaction that will create substance in the relationship.
2 mistakes by U.S companies:
- get caught up in the excitement and drive of marketing things, particulary new creations. => it leads to an internal focus
• companies can become so fixated on pursuing their R&D agendas that they forget about customers, the market, the competition
- become absorbed in the competition of selling things. => it leads to a market-share mentality, which inevitably translates into undershooting the market
- The real goal of marketing is to own the market, not